San Diego MESA Alliance (SDMA)
The San Diego MESA Alliance (SDMA), established in 2000, is a statewide model for intersegmental regional collaboration in mathematics, engineering and science education for economically disadvantaged and underrepresented student populations.
Alliance members include MESA programs from:
- Pre College:
- Imperial Valley
- San Diego
- Community Colleges:
- San Diego City College
- Southwestern Community College
- San Diego State University
The Alliance mission is to have a collaborative effort in enhancing the pipeline of MESA programs in San Diego County. The Alliance goals are to establish best practices, strategic partnerships, effective coordination of services and development of core curriculum for MESA programs.
- San Diego MESA Alliance brochures and reports (for brochures and reports of individual campuses/MESA centers, please contact the respective center).
- A Learning Culture of Success: A Cultural Approach for Increasing Diversity and Inclusion in STEM, March 2013
Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement (MESA)
The MESA program enables educationally disadvantaged students graduate from four-year institutions with a math-based major. MESA focuses on student groups who historically have had low levels of attainment. For more information about the MESA program, please visit the California MESA website.
MESA’s programs provide academic development support to students throughout the academic pathway. The MESA Schools Program (through the San Diego MESA Alliance’s San Diego State University and Imperial Valley MESA Schools Programs) assists pre-college students to succeed in math and science studies and go on to college in math-based fields.
- Level: K-12 (pre-college) for San Diego region
- Director: Luis Topete
- Website: http://mesa.sdsu.edu
- Level: K-12 (pre-college) for Imperial Valley region
- Director: Jeanette Ramos Espino
- Website: http://www.ivmesaprogram.org
The MESA Community College Program (through the San Diego MESA Alliance’s San Diego City College and Southwestern Community College MESA programs) supports community college students to succeed in math, engineering and science studies so they can transfer to four-year colleges and universities in math-based fields.
- Campus: San Diego City College
- Level: Community college
- Director: Rafael Alvarez, Ph.D.
- Website: http://www.sdcity.edu/mesa
- Campus: Southwestern College
- Level: Community college
- Director: Mourad Mjahed, Ph.D.
- Website: http://www.swccd.edu/index.aspx?page=89
The MESA Engineering Program (through the San Diego MESA Alliance’s San Diego State University MESA Engineering Program) assists engineering and computer science majors in four-year institutions so they will graduate with baccalaureate degrees.
At San Diego State University, MEP is unique in that they have a partnership with the College of Sciences that allows MEP to also assist physical science majors as well.
- Campus: San Diego State University
- Level: University
- Director: Natasha Forbes Celise
- Website: http://mep.sdsu.edu