POSITION: Novell Systems Administrator
CLASSIFICATION: Information Systems Specialist III
(Administrative and Technology Services Section)
SALARY RANGE: Grade VIII of the Salary Plan: $80,563 – $103,127 per year.
DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of the Senior Manager – Information Technology, the Novell Systems Administrator will provide computer hardware, software, LAN equipment, peripheral and user support in a networked environment; serve as a systems administrator and technical expert for Novell system (including OES2 on Netware and SUSE Linux, GroupWise email system with spam filtering), server hardware and LAN hardware and configurations.
QUALIFICATIONS: An appropriate combination of education and experience that has provided the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is:
Education: Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in one or more of the appropriate disciplines, such as Computer Science, Information Technology, or Information Systems Management; or a related discipline, and
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of increasingly complex and diverse information technology experience in a field related to this position, especially in the areas of Novell OES2 on SUSE Linux 10 /Netware 6.5, GroupWise 7x, and server hardware.
Ability: The applicant must possess the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff across a wide range of computer skills, effectively write and present technical concepts and diagram technical configurations. The ability to effectively participate in teams is essential. The applicant must demonstrate project management skills as it relates to the planning and delivery of infrastructure and application related projects. The applicant must be skilled at using his/her analytical skills and experience to create timely solutions to technical issues. The applicant must possess effective time-management skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, balance multiple tasks, work cooperatively within a team environment, and the ability to carry out assignments with minimum supervision.
Required Knowledge: Must possess demonstrated and thorough knowledge of the following:
1. Systems and network administration for Novell OES2 on SUSE Linux 10 / Netware 6.5, SAN storage, and VMware ESX based virtual servers. Expert knowledge of building and supporting current Novell-based IT Infrastructure, including print services, file servers, E-mail servers and associated networking services, such as DHCP, DNS etc.
2. Enterprise E-mail systems (GroupWise 7.x or later) and its necessary components, i.e. Sendmail gateway servers, virus and spam filtering appliances, services and technologies.
3. Experience in providing Helpdesk support to end users and knowledge of Helpdesk process, systems and documentation.
4. Deploying, configuring and supporting enterprise LAN hardware, data centers/server room environment, and network communication devices (routers/switches/cabling, VLANs, TCP/IP and other routing protocols). Knowledge of best practices in server deployments, migrations, upgrades and patches. Knowledge of network architecture, security systems and best practices.
5. Expert knowledge of managing storage (SAN) and data backup systems. Should be able to design, build and operate comprehensive data storage infrastructure involving Fiber Chanel and iSCSI SAN (including Fiber Channel switch and HBAs ). Knowledge of modern enterprise-class backup and restore systems and practices using commercial software (Symantec/Veritas BackupExec preferred) for file, database, e-mail or other data, including disk-to-disk backup with deduplication.
6. Developing specifications, configuring and deploying server grade hardware (HP preferred) and peripheral devices, multi-core and multi-CPU servers. Expert knowledge in high availability configurations such as clustering, automatic failover of services, RAID levels and system load balancing devices is preferred.
Preferred Knowledge: additional knowledge and experience that is desirable:
7. Experience with various vendor products used at MTC (HP, Xerox, Cisco, GWAVA, Symantec/Veritas, McAfee, Xiotech, Data Domain, Qlogic, Brocade). Accomplish both major and minor hardware modifications with these and other vendors’ products, including customizing configurations with additional software as needed to meet business requirements, including system utilities, security software, and specialized application software.
8. Experience with GWAVA Reload Backup for GroupWise and experience with other GWAVA utilities will be a plus.
9. Familiarity with BlackBerry smartphones and their integration with GroupWise will be a plus.
10. Should be able to work with systems administrators in peer organizations, internal or consultant application development teams, and DBAs to support new hardware/software requirements for application development and QA. Maintain and deploy enterprise applications in production environment after deployment.
1. Research and evaluate new products, software, infrastructure maintenance, system security, enhancements and upgrades in a complex network environment; research best practices and trends; assess Agency product and service needs and make purchase recommendations; recommend IT policy and procedural modifications as necessary; help develop long term information system plans, policies and procedures to improve reliability and availability. Coordinate and track IT operating and capital budget and expenditures with other staff. Keep clear and detailed records, including system documentation, configuration procedures, and troubleshooting.
2. Share Helpdesk responsibilities with current IT team and respond to requests for assistance with hardware, software, network connectivity, E-mail and spam, or performance issues; perform root cause analysis and reconfiguration, diagnose problems and ensure repair or replacement of faulty network and system hardware, disks, memory modules, controller boards and cables, peripherals and software; perform data backup and restoration; conduct various tests on components, equipment and software during installation to ensure components work properly and in accordance with Agency specifications.
3. Coordinate vendor support and purchasing of equipment and supplies for all servers, LAN equipment, networked printers and other related IT hardware, support all activities to sustain the present Novell iPrint-based printing infrastructure and provide further improvement in printer management, statistics collection and reporting; lead or support vendor selection and contract negotiation and execution for desired service levels.
4. Perform User account and group administration activities using eDirectory and GroupWise interfaces, troubleshoot application and file server performance issues, install servers in a datacenter environment, upgrade hardware/software and firmware, install operating system and patches on servers, re-configure disk space, software version and license management. Produce various technical reports, presentations and documentation.
5. Perform system monitoring, alerts and collect performance statistics, including system logs, for security or spam event analysis, prepare reports on system statistics regularly and plan for actions necessary to avoid performance or availability bottlenecks
6. Prepare and execute the plan to schedule systems upgrades (server and network hardware, storage enhancements, increase service availability) and work with IT team members and directors with high degree of coordination and professionalism.
7. Establish positive, professional working relationship with those contacted during the course of work; communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Establish and maintain a customer service focus within the work unit while keeping manager informed about progress and current status.
8. Participate or lead in IT team activities, including strategic planning for projects such as wired & wireless network design, disaster recovery and office automation.
9. Perform other related duties as required or assigned by supervisor.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
This announcement remains open until 4:00 p.m., Thursday, November 19, 2009. In the event that a suitable candidate is not found, the position will be reopened for further recruitment. Postmarks, Faxed/emailed applications will NOT be accepted.
Supplemental Background Information: Prepare a brief written summary of your knowledge or experience in:
• each of the skill areas listed under required and preferred knowledge, based on the MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS listed above,
• managing a data center or server room environment,
• providing helpdesk support to end users and knowledge of helpdesk process, system and documentation.
Your responses need to be limited to a maximum of three (3) pages, preferably typewritten on 8-1/2” x 11” paper. Please include the organization(s) where you acquired the relevant experience. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the supplemental background information.
To receive an announcement and application form, contact MTC at the Job Hotline, (510) 817-5818, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your contact information and indicate which job announcement you are requesting. Announcements and applications can also be downloaded from MTC’s website, http://www.mtc.ca.gov/jobs/. Applications not submitted on MTC forms or not including all required materials will not be considered.
Submit an MTC Application, cover letter, current resume, and responses to the Supplemental questions to: Human Resources Office, Metropolitan Transportation Commission, 101 Eighth Street, Oakland, CA 94607.
EMPLOYEE SELECTION PROCESS:
This Job Announcement sets a cut-off date and time for the receipt of applications. Applications will be reviewed as promptly as possible following the cut-off date. Those candidates whose applications show the best combination of training, experience, knowledge, and ability relevant to the position will be invited for an interview.
Interviews will be conducted by a panel whose members are acquainted with the requirements of the position. At the conclusion of the interviews, the panel will rate the candidates. The Executive Director may offer the position to the best-qualified candidate.
After the position has been offered and accepted, all other applicants will be notified promptly of the filling of the position. The panel will recommend which of the candidates interviewed but not selected will constitute an “eligibility” list, which will remain in effect for six months. In the event the same, or very similar position becomes available during that period, the list may be used for further selection.
The initial six months of service in this position constitute a probation period. The purposes of probation are to assist the employee in adapting to the new job, to evaluate the employee’s performance relative to continuation in the position, and to provide for corrective measures when performance is deficient.
MTC staff employees are paid based on an adopted salary schedule. The cited grade for this position consists of eleven steps with intervals of approximately 2½% available for merit progression.
THE FOLLOWING ARE AMONG THE BENEFITS OFFERED TO EMPLOYEES OF MTC
• Health Benefits Insurance through the Public Employees’ Retirement System (100% MTC-paid employee and dependent coverage, depending on health plan selected).
• Agency-paid Dental Insurance (dependent coverage shared by the employee and MTC).
• Agency-paid Vision Care Insurance, employees only (no dependent coverage).
• Agency-paid Life, AD&D, and Long Term Disability Insurance.
• Eleven paid holidays per year.
• One day per month paid vacation leave; for each year of service, an additional day per year is granted to a maximum of 25 days per year.
• One day per month paid sick leave, with no limit to the amount of sick leave that can be accumulated. (May cash out up to 240 hours of accumulated sick leave upon separation from the Agency.)
• Personal Business leave; up to three (3) days per year depending upon date of hire.
• Monthly Transit/Parking Subsidy.
• Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); employee contributes a portion of gross salary on a pre-tax basis.
• Alternative payroll savings plans (tax-deferred deferred compensation plans, two credit unions).
• Voluntary participation in employee-paid pre-tax dependent care and flexible spending accounts;
• Supplemental life insurance
QUALIFICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT IN THE UNITED STATES:
The selected candidate will be required to provide verification of his/her identity and evidence of having legal authorization to work in the United States prior to beginning employment. The selected candidate must maintain his/her employment eligibility status and will be responsible for notifying MTC of any changes.
MTC conducts background checks to verify information included in the candidate’s application, resume and supplemental materials.
CALIFORNIA DRIVER’S LICENSE:
A valid California Driver’s License is required, as MTC employees may be expected to operate an automobile in the performance of assigned duties. Exceptions to this policy will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to accommodate special needs.
MTC IS AN EEO/AA EMPLOYER:
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission is a non-discriminatory employer. MTC provides all employees and applicants with an equal opportunity in every aspect of the employment experience regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical handicap, medical condition, or marital status. This policy is implemented through an ongoing affirmative action program to ensure maximum opportunity to participate in the Commission’s programs.
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission is a regional transportation-planning agency created by the legislature pursuant to Government Code Sections 66500 et seq. to provide coordinated transportation development for the nine-county Bay Area.