The Essence Generation Next Scholarship (sponored by Essence Magazine and Sallie Mae) deadline is June 15, 2008. HS seniors and current college freshmen (at 2- and 4- year colleges) African American women are eligible to apply.
ESSENCE is committed to empowering the next generation of leaders to achieve their full potential by attending college. A college education is a major investment in your future. But the cost often puts it out of reach for many capable students. We want to help make college more accessible for you, with the ESSENCE Generation Next scholarship sponsored by The Sallie Mae Fund.
The Generation Next program includes:
· Five college scholarships of $5,000 each
· All-inclusive trip to attend one ESSENCE Young Women’s Leadership Conference in 2008
· Recognition in a special magazine feature in the October 2008 issue of ESSENCE
To be eligible to apply for the Generation Next Scholarship Program,
· Be a United States citizen or permanent resident,
· Be an African-American female,
· Be a senior in high school or a full-time1 college freshman enrolled at an accredited2 postsecondary institution,
· Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
· Have a family adjusted gross income for 2007 of $50,000 or less, and
· Demonstrate leadership and community service experience.
· Students who are members of the immediate families of ESSENCE, The Sallie Mae Fund and the judging panel members are not eligible.
1 Full-time study is defined as being enrolled in at least 12 credits.
2 Approved accredited institutions are defined as Title IV eligible, accredited, postsecondary two- or four-year colleges or universities, vocational, or technical schools in the United States or Puerto Rico.
Application Deadline is June 15, 2008.