Southwestern College is a spotlight college this week on the American Association of Community Colleges’ website:
Quote from the President
“For more than 50 years, Southwestern College has built a history of helping students meet their higher education goals. Our students, faculty, staff, and administrators create an invaluable community resource that brings higher education opportunities to each of the distinctive regions of South San Diego County. Southwestern College embraces the diversity of our students and builds networks that help them enhance their skills, earn certificates and degrees for transfer to four-year universities, or high-paying jobs.” – Melinda Nash.
2011 Fall Credit Enrollment
Total Enrollment: 20,409
Part Time: 63%
Full Time: 37%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 1%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 1%
- Southwestern College ranks among the highest in the nation in granting associate degrees to minority students, according to Diverse Issues in Higher Education magazine.
- Southwestern College has served more than 11,010 veterans and their dependents since 2006-2007, and has been designated a Military Friendly school by G.I. Jobs magazine.
- Over the last two years, students completing the Dental Hygiene, Paramedic, and Medical Lab Technician programs have earned a 100% pass rate on their licensing exams.
- Southwestern College’s student newspaper, The Sun, is the winner of multiple local and national awards, including the Pacemaker Award from the Associated College Press, the first-ever San Diego Press Club Directors Distinguished Award, and the National College Newspaper of the Year from the National Newspaper Association.
- The Southwestern College Jaguars football team is the 2012 American Championship Bowl winner.