MESA’s STEM Shadow Day will be on Thursday, November 17, 2016.
Through the San Diego MESA Alliance, pre-college and college students will have a unique experience to witness the “real world” of work in an engineering or scientific environment.
Industry’s involvement will provide a great opportunity for our up and coming students to “test the waters” in a field of their interest and see first-hand how classroom skills relate to the workplace. What better way to do that, than observe and work with a professional in action! Employers can make a positive impact on the lives of students; future engineers and scientists!
If this will be your first time participating in STEM Shadow Day, the way it works is simple. Students typically shadow a math, science or engineering professional from your company from approximately ~8:30-10:00 am. to ~2:00-3:30 pm. During this time, we ask that you provide the best experience possible; this is after all a potential employee.
Should you choose to participate, you have the flexibility to structure your STEM Shadow Day agenda to best match your company’s environment.
Through this program, students can picture themselves in these positions; in the near future and can also create goals to get there.
MESA STEM Shadow Day Flyer:
MESA STEM Shadow Day Timeline:
- May 31: Industry registration opens
- September 6: Student registration opens
- October 2: Industry and student registration closes
- Deadline extended for students until remaining spots are filled.
- October 10: Matched notices sent to student registrants and collection of any special documents
- October 17: Student emergency opt-out date deadline
- October 24-28: Confirmations e-mailed to industry registrants
- Late October-Early November: High school student participants prep meeting(s)
- November 1: San Diego City College student participants prep meeting @ 3:00-4:00 pm in S 216
- November 2: San Diego State University student participants prep meeting(s)
- @ 2:00-2:50 pm in LSS 246 or @ 3:00-3:50 pm in LSS 246
- November 3: Southwestern College student participants prep meeting @ 12:00-1:00 pm in 396
- November 17: MESA STEM Shadow Day!
- November 18: Online survey sent to industry and student participants
Info for Industry/Faculty/Professionals:
Step 1: Please review the STEM Shadow Day industry info packet (includes program overview, sample agenda, timeline, etc.).
- MESA STEM Shadow Day Industry Packet 2016 rev052716 (.DOC version)
- MESA STEM Shadow Day Industry Packet 2016 rev052716 (.PDF version)
- Sample media release form for multiple companies (.DOC version)
- Sample media release form for specific company (.DOC version)
- Sample waiver release liability form (.PDF version)
Step 2: After reviewing the STEM Shadow Day industry info packet and you are still interested in hosting students, please register at the link below (the link is also on the last page of the MESA STEM Shadow Day Industry Packet)
Industry/Faculty/Professionals Tentatively Signed up for MESA STEM Shadow Day
- Condon-Johnson & Associates
- Harris & Associates
- HDR, Inc.
- Nasland Engineering
- Rick Engineering Company
- Safran Power Units
- San Diego Gas & Electric (students have not been matched yet, we apologize for the delay)
- San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Scripps Research Institute Petrascheck Lab
- Solar Turbines Harbor Drive and Kearny Mesa locations
- Turner Construction Company
- T.Y. Lin International Group
Info for Students:
Step 1: Please review the STEM Shadow Day student info packet (includes program overview, sample agenda, timeline, etc.)
- MESA STEM Shadow Day Student Packet 2016 rev090616 (.PDF version)
- MESA STEM Shadow Day Student Packet 2016 rev090616 (.DOC version)
Step 2: After reviewing the STEM Shadow Day student info packet and you are still interested in participating, please register at the link below (the link is also on the last page of the MESA STEM Shadow Day Student Packet). As stated in the student info packet, registering doesn’t guarantee you a STEM Shadow Day spot.
Step 3: If matched, you will be given further instructions and will be required to attend one (1) mandatory STEM Shadow Day Preparation meeting. See the choices on our Google Calendar or on your student info packet. Pre-college students (high school) will be informed by their MESA Director/Adviser of their meeting choice(s).