The 2008 Walk on Water competition was held on Saturday, October 18, 2008at the Southwestern Community College swimming pool, from 9:00 – 1:00 PM. The competition had over 57 attendees, with teams from Southwestern College, San Diego State University, San Diego City College, and local high schools.
Teams of MESA students designed “buoyancy shoes”, and student “shoe pilots” race across the length of the pool. The competition allows students to gain experience at applying applying the engineering design process; solving open-ended problems.
Some of the campuses respective MESA programs’ refunded costs to build the buoyancy shoes that teams created to ‘walk on water’, up to $100. Southwestern College student organizations such as AMSA (American Medical Student Association), the Culinary Grilling Club (CGC), and SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) sold refreshments as part of their fundraising efforts.
The San Diego MESA Alliance would like to thank the high school team advisers/chaperones/industry/and faculty volunteers for their support.
2008 Walk on Water Competition Final Results:
- Fastest shoes: Southwestern College – SHPE
- Most original shoes: Southwestern College – Culinary Grilling Club
- Best use of recyclable materials: Southwestern College – Culinary Grilling Club
Informal swim competition:
- Antonio from Morse High School
- Gregorio Magana from San Diego State University
- Phillip from San Diego City College
Videos can be found at the San Diego MESA Alliance YouTube channel –Walk on Water playlist.